Monday, October 19, 2009

Quiche Squares


This is a recipe I got from my stepmother. She often serves it at holiday breakfasts with bacon, french toast, fresh fruit, and other assorted goodies. I likewise enjoy it for breakfast, but it makes an equally nice  dinner. Paired with a green salad and bread if you want it, it makes a tasty and un-fussy weeknight meal.

The original version of this recipe has a very strong artichoke flavor. The pictured Quiche Squares, however, are a recipe and a half. I added more eggs and cheese and bread crumbs but left the other proportions essentially the same. I actually thought it was slightly better this way – a little less sharp, a little more balanced – but I’m going to give the original recipe with the “recipe and a half” proportions in parentheses. Because we’re all about choices here. Choice is a happy thing!

Quiche Squares

½ cup onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 12-oz. jar marinated artichokes, half marinade drained, other half reserved
4 eggs (6 eggs)
¼ cup bread crumbs (1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (3 cups)
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
1/8 teaspoon oregano
2-3 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 325. Heat reserved marinade in small skillet over medium. Sauté onion and garlic in marinade until soft and translucent. Let cool.

Beat together eggs in a medium bowl. Chop artichokes into small pieces and add to eggs. Add bread crumbs, cheese, hot pepper sauce, oregano, and parsley and stir well.

Turn into a greased baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes or until set. Let stand for a few minutes before cutting into squares.

That’s it! People really seem to love this. It could be the artichokes, or it could be the fact that it’s more than 50% cheese by volume. To which I say: yum. Also, the world could use more recipes that are over 50% cheese by volume.

I should get on that.


Printable recipe here.

4 comments:

  1. Your quiche sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I hope you enjoy it if you try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever tried making it in a pie crust? Do you think there would be any tinkering needed to do so?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, never tried pie crust -- I tend to get a tummy-ache when I eat quiche in crust. Too much dairy or something. :)

    I think the recipe and a half would be too big for a pie crust, but the "original" size would probably fit okay (although I'd pour carefully to be sure). I don't think you'd need to modify it any -- maybe put foil around the edges of the crust toward the end of the baking time to avoid excess browning, but that would be all.

    ReplyDelete