Sunday, January 31, 2010

Emily Dickinson II

The problem with doing multiple Emily Dickinson posts is the paucity of available photos of said authoress. I thought I’d go with this hilariously frilly one, which was devised by publishers of a bygone era (based on the picture in my last post on Emily D.) in order to make her seem more attractive and feminine.

It’s a pretty safe guess that she didn’t much resemble this image.

The following poem is among my favorites, but I find the end a bit mystifying and think it can be plausibly read in so many ways. This does nothing to diminish my enjoyment. I’m a bit weary and overwhelmed by other tasks this weekend, so if you were hoping for a thoughtful analysis of intent and narrative structure … then google is your friend, though I confess that when I searched online for a copy of this poem to cut and paste, most of the accompanying analyses seemed irksomely misguided.

Not that I have strong opinions.

It’s a fabulous poem regardless of one’s take on it.

And I finally got around to making traditional scones, so I shall share that recipe tomorrow or the day after.  

754

My Life had stood - a Loaded Gun -
In Corners - till a Day
The Owner passed - identified -
And carried Me away -

And now We roam in Sovereign Woods -
And now We hunt the Doe -
And every time I speak for Him -
The Mountains straight reply -

And do I smile, such cordial light
Upon the Valley glow -
It is as a Vesuvian face
Had let its pleasure through -

And when at Night - Our good Day done -
I guard My Master's Head -
'Tis better than the Eider-Duck's
Deep Pillow - to have shared -

To foe of His - I'm deadly foe -
None stir the second time -
On whom I lay a Yellow Eye -
Or an emphatic Thumb -

Though I than He - may longer live
He longer must - than I -
For I have but the power to kill,
Without - the power to die -

Emily Dickinson (first entry) on this blog

Emily Dickinson on Wikipedia

Emily Dickinson on Poets.org

No comments:

Post a Comment